Friday, September 25, 2009

Week 5 Readings

Data Compression:

We think that the web and digitizing documents solves our space problem, but we often forget that space and organization is an issue in the digital world also. With data compression, it allows us the opportunity to cut the corners when and where we can. The differences between lossy and lossless compression show us that sometimes we can get rid of data and get it back easily. Other times, with certain types of files, we loss a bit of the original digital file. Just like we can lose some of the authenticity when reformatting documents from paper to digital, the same can happen while staying in the digital format.


The "Imaging Pittsburgh" article was interesting because I was referred to the Historic Pittsburgh Image Collection website while at work today. I enjoyed reading about the collaboration required, especially concerning the metadata, to bring together information from all three organizations.


I think the ideas presented in the "YouTube and Libraries" article is obvious and unoriginal. It's as though the author has never used the internet before.

1 comment:

  1. In regards to the 'Youtube and Libraries' article: At first, I had the same reaction to the author's simple language and instructions (from how to find the site, to signing up, to uploading videos). It seemed really strange that he was explaining such obvious information in great detail. But then I figured that he was probably making it as simple as possible for several generations of librarians (some of who may not be as familiar with youtube) how to use the website. That's the feeling I got from it at least.

    ReplyDelete